A varicose vein is a vein that has become inflamed, and this dilation prevents the return of blood to the heart in the right manner. This inflammation or dilation occurs because the venous valves, which deal with moving the blood, do not function properly and cause the blood to accumulate in the vein.
Varicose veins can occur in different areas of the body, such as in the stomach or anal area. The latter are known as haemorrhoids. But at the aesthetic level, which is our field, those that concern us most are the ones that occur in the legs.
The legs are a risk zone for varicose veins, since it is the area of the body that is farthest from the heart, and closest to ground level. Therefore, it needs more energy to push the blood up again.
In addition to the imminent risk to health, varicose veins in the legs pose an aesthetic problem for many men, but more especially for women, who see their legs being affected by veins seen under the skin, bulging with purple and almost black tones.
This leads to many women having trouble wearing skirts, even with thick socks. In summer the problem is even worse as they don´t feel confortable wearing dresses or swim suits on the beach.
Some counter productive factors with varicose veins
There are some factors that aggravate the risk of varicose veins. These are some of the most frequent:
- Overweight or obesity. It is surely the biggest risk factor with the issue of varicose veins.
- To many hours standing. It is also a risk factor, especially if someone is standing still or with little movement, such as shop assistants who work standing.
- Spend many hours sitting. Excessive sedentary work can also lead to problems with varicose veins.
- Contraceptives. Contraceptive pills, especially if taken on a long-term basis, increase the risk of poor circulation and varicose veins.
- Pregnancies. Weight changes as well as the hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy lead to many women begin suffering from varicose veins.
- Hereditary factors. Many people have blood circulation problems they have inherited from their parents. This makes them more prone to suffer from varicose veins.